Master of Business Administration
The MBA programs at Southeastern University are grounded in Christ-centered servant leadership and ethics. They prepare managers for overseeing numerous business functions, including accounting, finance, information systems, and marketing. Students will learn the economic underpinning and global relevance of these concepts, as well as quantitative analysis tools and strategy models to hone their business decision-making skills.
The curriculum is designed to lead students to:
- Practice servant leadership with biblically informed values.
- Critically think, plan, and research contemporary business issues.
- Make intelligent and ethical business decisions informed through a Christian worldview.
- Communicate results clearly and concisely through appropriate and effective media.
- Demonstrate effective decision-making skills in new and unfamiliar circumstances through an understanding of the various business functions and analysis tools.
- Apply theory to business problems in dynamic global environments.
AMBA—Full-time, 9 Months, Face-to-Face
The AMBA cohort-based program emphasizes experiential and service learning integrated into the MBA curriculum. The A in AMBA represents that this program is accelerated, allowing students to earn an MBA degree in nine months of intensive full time study, applied with a service learning emphasis including a faith based social entrepreneurship trip, and amplified with interaction with national and/or international leaders at the Forum and through the Disney Business Excellence experience at Walt Disney World. All coursework is completed with a cohort of colleagues each student gets to know well in face to face settings, both on our Lakeland campus and during offsite experiences. Business foundation topics are addressed in initial coursework, so this program is well suited for those with neither undergraduate business education nor work experience.
Admission Requirements for the AMBA Program
Students are accepted into the AMBA program based on evidence of their aptitude and motivation for graduate business education at Southeastern University, as well as their understanding of basic business functions. Below are the minimum basic requirements; however, admission acceptance is considered given the applicant’s entire application package:
- A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above. Applicants with a lower GPA may be considered if supplemental GMAT or GRE scores exceed requirements.
A GMAT score of 470 or above, or the equivalent GRE score as determined by ETS’s GRE Comparison Tool taken within five years prior to student’s admission to the program. An expectation is that applicants will also score at or above the 25th percentile in each of the verbal and quantitative reasoning sections of the exam. Provisional requirements may be required for lower scores.
A sample writing assignment addressing the prompt: Why I want to pursue an MBA at Southeastern University. The essay should address how the MBA will help the student in his or her career and how he or she can integrate Christian faith into his or her profession as a manager. The paper should include the student’s full name and be 300-600 words in length.
Two recommendations: An academic or a professional recommendation, and a personal/character recommendation, submitted by those providing references.
When merit-based scholarships are available, the amount is determined by the combination of entrance test scores and undergraduate GPA.
For students who do not have an undergraduate business degree or business minor, the following courses are recommended prior to enrolling:
- BUSI 1003 – Foundations of Business
- BUSI 1013 - Introduction to Accounting and Finance, or BUSI 2233 - Principles of Managerial Accounting
- BUSI 2203 - Microeconomics
- MATH 2023 - Introduction to Probability and Statistics
Students are also expected to be competent in Microsoft Excel prior to beginning MBA course work (Microsoft Excel Basic Certification, or equivalent is the recommended minimum). The follow course is recommended for gaining competencies in using Microsoft Excel in the MBA program:
- CTIS 2133 Data Management and Analysis