The Minor in Outdoor Leadership and Discipleship is designed to prepare students for careers in outdoor leadership, Christian ministry, experiential learning, and help them grow spiritually through adventure in God’s creation. SEU will partner with Snowbird Wilderness Outfitters (SWO), Outdoor Leadership and Discipleship School (OLDS) (http://swoutfitters.com/wilderness-semester) to provide a Christ-centered program in Outdoor Leadership instruction. This is a study abroad program.
Students who successfully complete the Minor in Outdoor Leadership and Discipleship will:
- Demonstrate leadership through: self-awareness of one’s abilities, professional conduct, sound decision-making, and group facilitation.
- Demonstrate technical ability in a variety of outdoor skills, to include: caving, climbing, environmental stewardship, first aid, hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, risk management, safety, whitewater rafting, and wilderness survival.
- Participate in Christian discipleship, evangelism, mentoring, and service.
This would be attractive to undergraduate students looking at any of the following careers.
- Outdoor program management, like summer camps, programs at resorts, in particular Christian ones
- Leading outdoor adventure treks (caving, climbing, hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, whitewater rafting, and others)
- Organizational team building and leadership consulting
- Environmental stewardship
- Environmental therapy
- Outdoor experiential learning
- Christian ministry in outdoor setting
- Christian youth ministry
Professional Accreditation Opportunities
In addition to normal SEU admission requirements, students must meet SWO requirements (http://www.swoutfitters.com/oldschool/courses/semester/application). These include an application, statement of faith, liability release forms, and letters of recommendation. Recommend that transfer credits not be allowed, as this is a unique all-inclusive program from SWO.